(1157 – 1199) – 43 years
Richard I was King of England from 6 July 1189 until his death. He was known as Richard the Lionheart because of his reputation as a great military leader and warrior. Richard was a central Christian commander during the Third Crusade, leading the campaign after the departure of Philip II of France and scoring considerable victories against his Muslim counterpart, Saladin. Rather than regarding his kingdom as a responsibility requiring his presence as ruler, Richard has been perceived as preferring to use it merely as a source of revenue to support his armies. Nevertheless, he was seen as a pious hero by his subjects. He remains one of the few kings of England remembered by his epithet, rather than regnal number, and is an enduring iconic figure both in England and in France.
Richard I – Review of Commander:
- Richard I is a great commander to use in early-game. At later stages, new commanders released (like Ramesses II, Saladin, Alexander the Great) have skills that reduce effectiveness of Richard I (like heal immune effect in Ramesses II‘s Expertized skill).
- Richard I is great as a garrison commander for defending structures in Ark of Osiris that do not receive reinforcements. He increases the time required for your opponent to take over structures with his heals.
- At 5511, Richard I can be paired with any other commander, regardless of troop type, and be useful.
Richard I Commander Skills:
Soul of the Crusaders
|Rage Requirement: 1000|
Heals a portion of slightly wounded units led by this commander (Healing Factor 600), and debuffs up to 5 enemy troops in a fan-shaped area, reducing their damage by 10% and their march speed by 5% for 2 seconds.
Healing Factor: 600/800/1000/1200/1400
Damage Reduction: 10%/15%/20%/25%/30%
March Speed Reduction: 5%/7%/9%/12%/15%
|Troops led by this commander gain 4% increased counterattack damage and take 5% less damage.|
Damage Taken Reduced By: 5%/7%/9%/12%/15%
Counterattack Damage Bonus: 4%/5%/6%/8%/10%
|Infantry units led by this commander gain 5% increased attack and 5% increased defense.|
Infantry Attack Bonus: 5%/7%/9%/12%/15%
Infantry Defense Bonus: 5%/7%/9%/12%/15%
|Troops led by this commander receive 10% increased healing effects, and take 10% less damage from watchtowers.|
Healing Effect Enhancement: 10%/15%/20%/25%/30%
Damage Taken From Watchtowers Reduced By: 10%/15%/20%/25%/30%
Troops led by this commander take 5% less damage from all sources. All infantry units led by this commander deal 2% increased damage to cavalry units. Every 10 seconds, the target’s march speed is reduced by 50% for 5 seconds.
Counterattack Damage Bonus: 10%/15%/20%/25%/30%
Upgrading Priority of Skills for Richard I:
- 5111 – Good bang for the buck for free-to-play players.
- 5511 – At 5511, Richard I can be paired with any other commander and be useful, as his first two skills can be applied regardless of troop type.
- 5555 – If you have sufficient universal Legendary Commander Sculptures, you could Expertise Richard I for his Expertised skill.
Click here for information on other commanders!
Best Commander Pairings for Richard I:
- Garrison in Ark of Osiris (Structures): Theodora, Wu Zetian (Wu Zetian as primary commander), Charles Martel (Charles Martel as primary commander), Yi Sun-sin
- Open-field: Alexander the Great – You could use Richard I
- Canyon: Charles Martel (Richard I as primary commander)
- Open-field: Alexander the Great – You could use Richard I as primary commander for more tankiness, or Alexander the Great as primary commander for more damage power.
- Open-field: Constantine I (Constantine as primary commander)
- Barbarian hunting: Lohar
Best Talent Trees for Richard I:
Open-field (more march speed)
City Garrison Defense
Check out the Best Talent Tree Build(s) and Commander Pairing(s) for other Commanders here!