How do you decide if this event is worth spending your gems on? Should you save your gems for the Wheel of Fortune or other events?
I will analyze this for you here to help you make an informed decision.
Everything you need to know about the Card King event in Rise of Kingdoms
- The Card King event lasts for 3 days;
- The Card King event is a chance for you to obtain Legendary Commander Sculptures at a cost of between 200 and 1,000 gems for each Sculpture;
- In the worst case scenario, each Sculpture will still cost you less than 1,000 gems if you consider the value of other rewards;
- The Card King event is a chance for you to obtain up to more than 30 Legendary Commander Sculptures of your choice of Commander;
- On a like-for-like comparison, the “Card King” event offers a chance to acquire Legendary Commanders at 1,000 gems per Sculpture versus the “Wheel of Fortune” event at 1,564 gems per Sculpture (for 100 spins);
- The Card-King event initially offers you a choice of 4 Legendary Commanders, the only question left to ask yourself is whether you fancy acquiring any of them. Note: Later in the game, there will be other Legendary Commanders added to the roster for you to choose;
- If you do not have sufficient gems (3,000 gems) to guarantee the acquisition of Legendary Commander Sculptures in each round, you should still flip the first two cards for free to take a look at your chances. You can repeat this 10 times in total by reshuffling the deck until you obtain a Legendary Commander Sculpture in the first two flips of the round;
- Tip: In each round, once you have obtained all the Legendary Commander Sculptures that are available, you should not flip anymore cards that will cost you gems. Instead, you should reshuffle the deck of cards and continue flipping for Legendary Commander Sculptures. This will optimize the value of your gems spent.
Do you still need anymore convincing to flip the card?
In essence, this is a card-flipping game that gives you a chance to obtain Legendary Commander Sculptures, at a cost of 300 gems for each flip of the card. There is a maximum of 10 chances or rounds you can play the card-flip game, and the minimum requirement to participate in this event is a City Hall level of level 8 or higher.
Before you commence the card-flip game, you will have to pick your choice of the “Legendary Commander Sculpture” out of a basket of four options. This will be your reward in the card-flip game, should you correctly guess and match the location of the cards that represent this Legendary Commander Sculpture.
At the start of each round of the card-flip, there will be 12 cards revealed to you, and you will have to shuffle them. Each card has a picture that represents either a “2x Legendary Commander Sculpture”, a “1x Legendary Commander Sculpture”, Golden Key, resource pack or speedup. After shuffling the cards, they will be faced down and you will have to spend 300 gems to flip and reveal each card. Your first two flips will be free. Once flipped, the cards will be demarcated with a “FREE” sign at the back of the cards, and can be flipped again subsequently at no additional cost of gems.
Your objective should be to guess and identify the locations of the Legendary Commander Sculpture that you have picked. For every two such cards flipped, you are rewarded with one Legendary Commander Sculpture. Note that the “1x Legendary Commander Sculpture” and “2x Legendary Commander Sculpture” are not matching cards. There are also other rewards that you can obtain by matching their cards.
- There are a total of 12 cards in each round.
- 2 cards are revealed to you for free.
- Remaining 10 cards cost 300 gems each to flip.
- There is a total of 3 Legendary Commander Sculptures up for grabs in each round.
- Assuming you are extremely down on luck, and take the maximum number of flips in each round (10 flips) to obtain all the Legendary Commander Sculptures (3 Sculptures) as rewards, your cost of flipping all cards in each round is 3,000 gems (300 gems x 10), which translates to 1,000 gems for each Legendary Commander Sculpture.
- On the other hand, if you are extremely lucky, you can obtain all 3 Sculptures in only 4 flips including the first two free flips, which translates to a cost of 200 gems for each Sculpture (300 x 2 / 3).
- This means that the Card King event provides you a chance to acquire Legendary Commander Sculptures of your choice at a cost of between 200 and 1,000 gems for each Sculpture, up to a maximum of 30 Sculptures from the event.
- Note that in the extremely unlucky scenario, of having to spend 3,000 gems each round to flip all cards and obtain all 3 Legendary Commander Sculptures, you will also have obtained other rewards in each round like the 3-Hour Speedup, resource packs and Tome of Knowledge. For your reference, 3 units of a 3-Hour Universal Speedup at a discount of 70% in the Mysterious Merchant’s Boutique cost 270 gems. If you consider the value of the other rewards that you can obtain in each round, the implied cost of each Legendary Commander Sculpture obtained in Card King is definitely less than 1,000 gems per Sculpture.
See video below, where I spend gems to show you how it should be done.
In the above video, I will show you how I approached the card-flipping game to minimize the gems spent and maximize my Sculpture returns.
I flipped cards with the sole objective to obtain Legendary Commander Sculptures, not resources or speedups. There are a total of 3 Legendary Commander Sculptures in each round, and I grabbed all of them before I reshuffled the deck. I stopped flipping the cards once I have obtained all 3 Legendary Commander Sculptures in each round. In my view, there are other ways to obtain resources and speedups without spending gems, and even if I were to spend gems on these items, there is always Mysterious Merchant’s Boutique.
As observed in the video above, I spent a total of 4,800 gems in two rounds of card-flipping, and obtained 6 Cao Cao Legendary Commander Sculptures – an implied cost of 800 gems per Legendary Commander Sculpture.
Apart from the Sculptures, I also received other item rewards, which based on my calculations, would have cost me close to 3,000 gems to acquire them in the Mysterious Merchant’s Boutique.
|Other rewards from Card King event||Estimated price of item in Mysterious Merchant’s Boutique|
|4 x 375,000 Stone resource pack||At least 360 gems|
|4 x 500,000 Food resource pack||At least 360 gems|
|10 x 60 minutes universal speedups||At least 300 gems|
|2 x Dazzling Starlight Sculptures||1,200 gems|
|4 x Lv.6 Tome of Knowledge (50,000 EXP)||640 gems|
If you offset the total gems spent in the two rounds of Card King event (4,800 gems) with the equivalent value of the other rewards received in terms of gems (2,860 gems), the net spend on the 6 Legendary Commander Sculptures is 1,940 gems, which translates to 323.3 gems per Legendary Commander Sculpture. Isn’t this an amazing event?
In summary, the Card King is actually quite an attractive event if you desire any of the four Legendary Commanders featured in the event (in this case, Cao Cao).